Choosing a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’re lucky, you’ll never need to hire a personal injury attorney. But if the worst happens, how will you choose? It’s not an easy question to answer.
South Carolina law allows people to seek compensation when they’ve been injured due to the careless acts of another. This money can help pay off medical bills, recoup lost wages, account for future needs, and provide reimbursement for pain and suffering. Your best chance of recovering maximum compensation comes by hiring an experienced South Carolina personal injury lawyer.
South Carolina is home to many fine personal injury lawyers. But you need the one that’s right for you. The attorneys at Wilson Law Group, LLC, have come up with some suggestions to guide you in the attorney selection process.
How to Find the Best Personal Injury Lawyer for You
Choosing an attorney is a very personal decision. A “one size fits all” approach to the search process will not yield the best results.
Recommendations from friends and family who have been successfully represented by a personal injury lawyer is a great place to start. However, you should always meet with the attorney privately to determine whether he or she is the right fit for you.
Aim to interview at least three attorneys. The good thing about personal injury lawyers is that the vast majority offer free initial consultations. You’ll pay nothing out of pocket for legal advice about your case. You literally have nothing to lose.
If you know an attorney, consider speaking to them about your case. Their expertise may not be in the area of personal injury law, but they may be able to refer you to an attorney who is qualified. Just like with other recommendations, another lawyer’s referral does not automatically mean that is the right attorney for you. It simply means you should consider meeting with them.
The S.C. Bar Lawyer Referral Service is another way to find prospective attorneys for your case. This service is free and ensures you will work with an attorney that has maintained good standing with the Bar and has malpractice insurance, which is not a requirement for other lawyers in the state.
Keep in mind that you are not obligated to hire any of the personal injury attorneys that you interview. If you feel any pressure to sign with them, they’re not the right lawyer for you.
Questions to Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer Before Hiring
Ask these questions of a potential personal injury lawyer:
- How much time will you spend on my case? Attorneys can have heavy caseloads. You want to find a lawyer who plans to give your case the attention it deserves. You can also ask whether he or she will be handling your case directly or referring it to an associate or another law firm.
- How long will my case take? Every personal injury case is unique. No lawyer should promise that a case will end within a certain timeframe. However, a skilled personal injury attorney should be able to review the facts of your case and give you an estimate. Remember that claims that go to trial will always take longer due to the amount of preparation that goes into building the case.
- How many cases have you handled at trial? Most personal injury cases resolve in a settlement. You want a personal injury attorney who is ready and willing to go to trial if necessary.
- What is my case worth? Anything can happen during a personal injury case, and it is impossible to determine an exact dollar amount for what your case is worth. However, an attorney should be able to view your damages and provide an estimate for how much compensation has been awarded in cases similar to yours.
- What are your results? Ask the prospective attorney about his or her past track record of success, both during settlement negotiations and at trial.
Once you’ve asked your questions and gotten answers, it will be time for you to make a decision. Remember that it’s your opinion — and only your opinion — that matters when it comes to hiring the best personal injury attorney for you.
Things to Think About When Comparing Attorneys
There are many things you will want to consider when comparing attorneys, such as:
- Experience: Hiring a seasoned personal injury attorney can position you for the best possible results for your claim. They will have more experience negotiating with insurance companies and working with nearby judges and attorneys.
- Communication: Part of an attorney’s job is to be an effective communicator. They must be able to clearly argue your case to an insurance adjuster, judge or jury. But just as importantly, they must be able to translate all of the technical legal terms related to your case so that you can understand them and make informed decisions.
- Affordability: Make sure you understand how the fee arrangement works. Most personal injury attorneys take cases on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay no upfront fees to get the case underway. The lawyer only gets paid if he or she obtains a verdict or settlement for you. However, the exact terms of the fee agreement may differ from lawyer to lawyer. If you are comparing two attorneys that have equal skill and experience, your decision may come down to the fees they will be charging.
Why Wilson Law Group Has the Right Attorneys for You
At Wilson Law Group, LLC, we believe that obtaining compensation is just as important as compassionate client care. You’re not just a client to us. We’ll fight aggressively for you, but also take the time to help you find the medical care and support services you need in the wake of your accident.
Our South Carolina personal injury attorneys have the skills, experience, and training necessary to effectively argue your case, both during settlement talks and in the courtroom.