Car Accident Lawyer in Bamberg, SC
Millions of people drive cars every day to get to and from work, home, school, and all the places they need to go. While most drivers do so safely, any one of these trips could result in a crash that causes serious injury. When a crash happens, it’s often very stressful for everyone involved.
Car accident victims may be injured and shaken up, and they don’t know what to do next. Many are concerned about how much their crash and injuries are going to cost them financially. Our Bamberg car accident lawyers are here to help.
When another person was at fault for your accident, our skilled attorneys can help you demand full and fair compensation for the losses you have suffered. Although car accident cases can quickly become complicated, our experienced attorneys will manage all the details of your claim and take as much of the burden off you as possible.
Please contact a Bamberg car accident lawyer today to discuss your rights in a free consultation.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Bamberg
The first few moments after a car accident are the most confusing for accident victims. They may have suffered injuries, yet they are possibly not fully aware of the extent of those injuries. They often don’t know what to do, or what to say to the other driver.
- First and foremost, all drivers involved must stop and exchange information including names, phone numbers, and insurance information. At this time, no driver should accept fault or try to lay blame. Remaining calm is key.
- If there are property damages valued over $1,000, or there are any injuries or fatalities during the accident, South Carolina law requires drivers to file a police report. It’s always a good idea to contact the police after any accident, with the exception of very minor collisions. Police reports can help strengthen a case further down the road.
- While waiting for the police to arrive, it’s also a good idea to take pictures of the scene. Damage to vehicles can help show what happened during a car accident, as can skid marks and other evidence showing what led up to the crash. Victims should also take photos of their injuries or ask someone else at the scene to take photos for them.
- Once everything has been taken care of at the scene, it’s important that any injured individuals seek medical treatment right away. Injuries can worsen significantly if left untreated, and medical reports and official diagnoses can also help a claim.
After leaving the scene of an accident and seeking treatment, many people decide to call the insurance company of the at-fault driver right away. This is a mistake. It’s important to first contact a Bamberg car accident lawyer who can review the case and possibly even speak to the insurance company on the injured individual’s behalf.
Common Causes of Bamberg Car Accidents
Any time a driver takes his or her focus from the road, is negligent, or drives recklessly or carelessly, it can cause a car accident. Some of the common causes of auto accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving, particularly texting while driving
- Driver fatigue
- Improper turns
- Unsafe lane changes
- Reckless driving
- Failing to yield
- Wrong-way driving
All of these unsafe driving behaviors may be considered negligence and can cause a motor vehicle accident resulting in serious injuries.
Common Types of Bamberg Car Accident Injuries
Accident victims may suffer a number of injuries after a wreck. Some of the serious injury cases our law firm handles include:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Bone fractures
- Burn injuries
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Strained muscles
- Internal bleeding and internal organ damage
Anyone who is coping with injuries after a car accident in Bamberg, South Carolina, should speak to a trusted personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. At Wilson Law Group, LLC, a consultation is free, so please contact us now.
Compensation for Your Bamberg Car Accident Claim
Often, car accident victims understand that they are entitled to some sort of compensation after a crash. However, they do not always understand the extent of compensation they are eligible to receive. The three types of compensation that may be awarded in Bamberg car accident cases are economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages.
Economic damages are meant to compensate victims for any expenses incurred by the accident that have an actual dollar value. These types of damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Custodial care
- Loss of income
- Loss of earnings capacity
- Loss of property
Non-economic damages compensate accident victims for losses without an actual dollar value. These damages are more difficult to calculate for both a jury and the insurance company. Before claiming this type of compensation, accident victims should speak to a Bamberg car accident crash lawyer to ensure they are accounting for the full amount of losses. Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment or disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Loss of society and companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Injury to reputation
Lastly, a judge or jury may award punitive damages. These damages are not meant to compensate the victim, but rather to punish the at-fault driver. These are only awarded if the defendant showed reckless conduct. A judge or jury will decide whether these are awarded, in addition to the amount of punitive damages.
How Long Do You Have to File a Bamberg Car Accident Lawsuit?
According to South Carolina law, in most cases, car accident victims have three years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, some car accident cases are subject to shorter time periods to file a personal injury lawsuit. Any lawsuits filed after this time will likely be thrown out of court, preventing the accident victim from receiving compensation for injuries.
However, it is important to note that you should not wait to consult with a lawyer about your car accident injury claim. As time passes, evidence disappears and witnesses forget what they saw. The sooner your attorney can begin investigating your claim and documenting your damages, the better.
How Our Bamberg Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You
Anyone injured in a car accident in Bamberg should seek the advice of a qualified South Carolina car accident lawyer. When you choose the skilled legal team at Wilson Law Group, LLC, you can expect that:
- Your experienced attorney will begin by speaking to the insurance company of the at-fault driver. Our attorneys have the necessary experience to contact insurance companies and push back on their tactics, such as trying to assign fault to the accident victim or lowballing victims with an unfair settlement.
- Then your attorney will conduct a full investigation into the accident. Our team will collect evidence from the scene, organize medical records and receipts, and speak with health care providers to obtain missing medical documents.
- Lastly, your attorney will negotiate aggressively with the insurance company for the at-fault driver. If necessary, your lawyer will fight for your right to full compensation in court. Our goal is always to obtain the maximum compensation you need to be made financially whole again.
Contact Our Bamberg Car Accident Lawyers Now
If you or a loved one has been in a car accident that was the fault of someone else, don’t wait another minute to speak to a car accident lawyer in Bamberg. At Wilson Law Group, we offer free initial consultations, during which we can answer your questions and explain your next steps.
Please don’t spend another minute trying to handle the aftermath of a car accident on your own while still struggling to recover from your injuries. Call us or contact us online for help.